Rabbi Michael Perice made a startling revelation to his congregation: For four years, he’d been addicted to opioids. Now, celebrating 10 years of liberation, Perice decided it was time to share his story with his community and the wider world. His goal: to lift the stigma surrounding addiction and bring further attention to the epidemic within the Jewish community and beyond. In this interview, the 2020 Reconstructionist Rabbinical College graduate shares the circumstances that found him dependent upon a highly addictive substance, how he finally recognized his life had spiraled out of control and how he has approached his recovery. He also discusses his youthful disillusionment with Judaism when his childhood rabbi, Fred Neulander, was arrested and ultimately convicted for the murder of his wife. And we talk about how he re-engaged with Judaism in the early years of recovery while working for his family-run funeral home. Rabbi Perice also highlights several Jewish leaders and organizations concentrating on addictions and argues more needs to be done.
Theme song, “Ilu Finu” by Rabbi Miriam Margles. Her album This is the Day is available for purchase at CDBaby: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/miriammarglesandthehadarensemb
Visit our home on the web — Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversations: http://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org
Subscribe by Email at http://subscribebyemail.com/evolve.fireside.fm/rss
Read these show notes on the web at https://evolve.fireside.fm/24
This podcast is produced by Reconstructing Judaism. Visit us at ReconstructingJudaism.org.Support Evolve
- Exploring Judaism: A Reconstructionist Approach — This volume by Rabbi Rebecca T. Alpert, Ph.D. and Rabbi Jacob J. Staub, Ph.D. is ideal for the anyone who wants to know more about Reconstructionism, whether they are long-time members of a Reconstructionist congregation, newcomers or others who have struggled to find a spiritual home.
- Drug Overdoses Killed A Record Number Of Americans In 2020, Jumping By Nearly 30%
- This rabbi was addicted to opioids. Now he’s using his experience to help his congregants.
- A young New Jersey rabbi reveals to his flock that he has been in recovery from opioid addiction for a decade
- Recovery, the 12 steps and Jewish Spirituality by Paul Steinberg
- Jewish Addiction Awareness Network — Jewish Addiction Awareness Network (JAAN) is committed to bringing the disease of addiction into the light, while showing the power of Jewish practices and wisdom in addressing the issue.
- We asked 22 rabbis: What can the Jewish community do to fight the opioid epidemic?
- Temple Sinai welcomes Cherry Hill native as new rabbi
- After disillusionment, finding his way back to Judaism — As a boy growing up in Cherry Hill, Michael Perice was in awe of his rabbi, Fred Neulander. But he felt betrayed when the rabbi he expected would someday officiate at his bar mitzvah was charged - and ultimately, convicted - in the lurid murder-for-hire of his wife, Carol.
- Neulander investigators followed long road to life term for Cherry Hill rabbi