The Need for Affinity Spaces for Jews of Color
Episode 34 · October 26th, 2022 · 57 mins 16 secs
About this Episode
Imagine if there were a digital yeshiva where Jews of Color could gather to learn Torah and Jewish practices in a safe, supportive atmosphere in which no one’s Jewishness is questioned. Good news, Ammud: The Jews of Color Torah Academy already exists! In this episode, we speak with Ammud's executive director, Alexandra Corwin, a noted educator and organizer with Ashkenazi, Peruvian, and Quechua heritages. We delve into why Jews of Color need affinity spaces and how such spaces can benefit all Jewish communities. We discuss the nuts and bolts of the digital yeshiva: how it operates, what it teachers, who are its teachers and students. And, of course, we learn about Alexandra’s plans for Ammud, which means pillar in Hebrew, and what’s at stake. Also, Alexandra discusses her own journey toward Jewish leadership.
Theme song, “Ilu Finu” by Rabbi Miriam Margles. Her album This is the Day is available for purchase at CDBaby: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/miriammarglesandthehadarensemb
Visit our home on the web — Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversions: http://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org
Subscribe by Email at http://subscribebyemail.com/evolve.fireside.fm/rss
Read these show notes on the web at https://evolve.fireside.fm/1
This podcast is produced by Reconstructing Judaism. Visit us at ReconstructingJudaism.org.Support Evolve
- Ammud: Jews of Color Torah Academy
- Read Alexandra Corwin's Evolve essay, "Journey to Restorative Justice in Sunday-School Classrooms"
- Support Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversations — The Evolve project demonstrates that Judaism is exciting, relevant and worth exploring. Please help us sustain this work by making a gift today.
- Beyond the Count: Perspectives and Lived Experiences of Jews of Color
- Counting Inconsistencies from Jews of Color Field Building Initiative
- From JTA: "We asked people about their experiences as Jews of color. Here’s what they told us."
- From our archives: Rabbi Sandra Lawson joins the podcast to discuss "Racism in the Jewish Community"
- "Being an Ally with Empathy, Humility and Courage" from the Hashivenu: Jewish Teachings on Resilience podcast