A rafting trip got Rabbi Daniel Swartz — a longtime environmental activist — thinking about the way the human experience relates to the processes of the natural world. How do people live absent the belief that things are getting better, and could quite possibly be getting much worse? How do we muster the resilience to try to make a difference — especially on Climate Change — while simultaneously preparing for real losses, both to the natural world and human civilization? The director of the Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life talks about the philosophical and theological questions he’s wrestled with as he’s marshaled his energies toward activism. He demonstrates his philosophy in action, recalling a 2021 gathering of global religious leaders at the Vatican in which participants shaped an important statement on Climate Change. And he shares his impressions of meeting Pope Francis.
Sign up for Evolve's email list: https://reconstructingjudaism.us6.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=e8dc2f2d9405f4a028431548a&id=cef6081b93
Celebrate Five Years of Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversations: https://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org/uncover-the-light-purim-campaign/
Theme song, “Ilu Finu” by Rabbi Miriam Margles. Her album This is the Day is available for purchase at CDBaby: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/miriammarglesandthehadarensemb
Visit our home on the web — Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversations: http://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org
Subscribe by Email at http://subscribebyemail.com/evolve.fireside.fm/rss
Read these show notes on the web at https://evolve.fireside.fm/38
This podcast is produced by Reconstructing Judaism. Visit us at ReconstructingJudaism.org.Support Evolve
- Sign up for Evolve's email list
- Celebrate Five Years of Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversations
- Read Rabbi Swartz's Evolve essay, "Evolving Views of Evolution"
- Read Rabbi Swart's Evolve Essay, "Does the Earth Have a Prayer? Finding Hope As We Confront the Climate Crisis"
- From Reuters, "Pope, other religious leaders issue pre-COP26 appeal on climate change"
- The Coalition on the Environment and Jewish Life
- From The Atlantic, "The People Cheering for Humanity's End"