Just days before a horrifying hostage standoff at a synagogue in Colleyville, Texas, we recorded an episode about antisemitism. Our guest: Rabbi Deborah Waxman, Ph.D, president of Reconstructing Judaism. Her Evolve essay, “Beyond Antisemitism,” brings a distinctly Reconstructionist perspective, one that calls upon a full understanding of the movement’s evolution. In this piece, she lays out a positive call to action. Rather than give in to fear, Deborah argues we should lean into Jewish identity, community and coalition-building and link efforts to combat antisemitism with fighting racism, Islamophobia and other forms of intolerance. Rabbi Jacob Staub, Ph.D., the show’s executive producer, joins Bryan Schwartzman as a guest host. The three engage in a wide-ranging conversation and look for areas of hope and uplift at a time when the light can be difficult to see.
Theme song, “Ilu Finu” by Rabbi Miriam Margles. Her album This is the Day is available for purchase at CDBaby: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/miriammarglesandthehadarensemb
Visit our home on the web — Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversations: http://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org
Subscribe by Email at http://subscribebyemail.com/evolve.fireside.fm/rss
Read these show notes on the web at https://evolve.fireside.fm/1
This podcast is produced by Reconstructing Judaism. Visit us at ReconstructingJudaism.org.Support Evolve
- Read the Evolve essay: "Beyond Antisemitism" by Rabbi Deborah Waxman, Ph.D.
- Choosing Life: A Reconstructionist Response to Events in Colleyville, Texas
- Exploring hate: How antisemitism fuels white nationalism — Antisemitism is a core ideology in white nationalist movements and was part of what drove extremists at the 2017 Charlottesville ‘Unite the Right’ protest. American University professor Pamela Nadell, former homeland security analyst Daryl Johnson,racial justice activist Eric Ward, and former white nationalist Derek Black join Hari Sreenivasan to discuss as part of the ongoing series, “Exploring Hate: Antisemitism, Racism and Extremism.”
- "A Brief History and Update on Antisemitism" by Rabbi Mordechai Liebling
- Explore more Evolve essays about antisemitism