Have you ever heard a Jewish organization refer to itself as “warm and welcoming” but, on some level, fail to live up? Walked into a Jewish space and felt like you might as well have been invisible? Or yearned to see LGBTQ Jews, Jews of Color, interfaith families, those with disabilities and so many other fully embraced and at home in Jewish communities? Then listen to Bryan's conversation with Miriam Steinberg-Egeth and Warren Hoffman, Ph.D., about their book “Warm and Welcoming: How the Jewish Community Can Become Truly Diverse and Inclusive in the 21st Century.” The two, longtime friends and collaborators, explain how the book came together and what they hope it accomplishes. The authors argue that “warm and welcoming” is not a state to achieve but a constant process.
Theme song, “Ilu Finu” by Rabbi Miriam Margles. Her album This is the Day is available for purchase at CDBaby: https://store.cdbaby.com/cd/miriammarglesandthehadarensemb
Visit our home on the web — Evolve: Groundbreaking Jewish Conversions: http://evolve.reconstructingjudaism.org
Subscribe by Email at http://subscribebyemail.com/evolve.fireside.fm/rss
Read these show notes on the web at https://evolve.fireside.fm/1
This podcast is produced by Reconstructing Judaism. Visit us at ReconstructingJudaism.org.Support Evolve
- Read the Evolve Essay, "Building a Truly Diverse and Inclusive Jewish Community"
- Buy the book, "Warm and Welcoming" — Evolve listeners can use promo code RLFANDF30 at check out for 30% off.
- Listen to our "America's First Bat Mitzvah" episode, co-produced by this month's guest Warren Hoffman
- Warren Hoffman's website
- 18 Doors, empowering people in interfaith relationships
- IKAR, striving to actively and intentionally celebrate the vibrancy and diversity of the Jewish people.
- Keshet, working for the full equality of all LGBTQ Jews and our families in Jewish life.
- Jews of Color Initiative, working to build a truly multiracial, anti-racist Jewish community